Monday, May 4, 2015

EOC WK 5 Whatever Works

The woman prepared herself by allotted one-on-one time with a person who could and would place her with an invaluable opportunity to network. The scene was set with the intension of being a casual evening, again focusing on who she is and who he is to her.  Before her was presented an individual who clearly had experience as a professional; “dabbling” in the art field as well as the physiological. Someone with this background is a key person for her to have made important, close connections with. This allowed her to utilize his background to meet her needs for an expansion both for notoriety and for her personal business growth.
The scene where she reveals both her talents and her interests, provide for him a living asset; someone or something of a project which he could present to those with whom he had previously connected with. This provided for him notoriety and business growth. This is such an important concept in the film; serving as a reminder than when a networking opportunity presents itself, the circumstance explodes beyond the expected horizon (The plot twist involving the ménage à trois) for both parties. More importantly; both parties absolutely benefited from the “meeting”. What she did was allow herself to become a bigger voice (as demonstrated by her sudden change in demeanor and jargon when she was made to realize her works had value) and therefore more interesting, beneficial, marketable, and in lieu of professional.
Furthermore; this prompt begs the question: How far would you go to get your dream job? In this context, this is to almost ask how far I would go to network and if my actions would in any way parallel hers. The answer? They absolutely would. In a less comically ironic setting, I would absolutely provide myself as an asset the second I have made a business connection. There is no limit to how versatile I should make my abilities, interests, and background. And as for her; explaining the context of my work, the inspiration—the passion—these are all speeches and techniques I would derive from the woman in this movie. It proves something to the individual you are trying to connect with; providing an intellect and an investment (maybe not personal, but it must absolutely be presented in a personable manner).

My dream job is to be an Art Director (although I will settle for a concept artist position) for either an Indie Game company (meaning, a company that opened small and with the intention of breaking into the mainstream) or an established, AAA video game company (Blizzard Entertainment). I have already reached out via Twitter to people who work for and operate Indie Game companies, Blizzard, and a number of other AAA game companies. Gaining notoriety this way is the easiest step in reaching into the interests and obtaining a name for myself within those companies as I am certainly not in the ideal location for meeting any of them face to face. The furthest I would go is investing serious money to go to several conventions or “networking events” where I know that these key representatives from those companies will be at. Blizzcon 2015 as an opportunity for me to go to has passed; but in the future that would be an easy $800+ investment I am far more than happy to make. As that as a small scale example, I believe the furthest I would go is to attend bigger events-hopefully internationally, hopefully in the UK, Korea, and Canada as those are key locations for both video game industry news and video game industry conventions/conferences. Location and opportunity are key when it comes to meeting the right people.

No comments:

Post a Comment